Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day Musings

Truth be told, I don't want to miss my mom because it only reminds me that she's no longer of this world. 

Every time I look at my son, my mind always brings me back to those moments when my mom lovingly gazed at me without saying a word. I remember a particular instance wherein I was in the study room hitting the books for an exam, when mommy just stayed in the doorway staring at me with a mesmerized smile on her face.

Mommy and I sometime in 1973

That moment was buried in the deepest recesses of my soul, unuttered until now. I couldn't decipher what that look was all about not until I had my own son. 

Just to see his face makes my heart flutter like no other. He doesn't even have to do anything nor say anything to make me happy. I simply am because he is there!

My son and I sometime in 2008

However, as much as I want to be the best mom possible, I fall short of my calling most of the time. There were instances, I think, wherein a hug was more comforting than a reprimand or a word of encouragement way better than a critique. In the end, I still chose to admonish maybe because I was too tired or too stubborn to understand my son's predicament.

Now in my early forties, about the same age of my mom in the picture above, I realize that my mom was also far from perfect. But what makes her the perfect mom is the way she loved me; pretty much similar to the mother in this immensely inspiring video.


"How one generation loves, the next generation learns."

Much of what I know about love and sacrifice, I've learned from just watching my mom apply it in our daily lives which according to her was a product of "grasya" or what we refer to in the bible as God's Amazing Grace. 

I once asked my 7 year old son why we love the way we do. His reply which he learned from attending Sunday School for the past four years, left me dumbfounded --but in a good way. 

"Mama," he responded, "we love because He first loved us." (I John 4:19)






  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

No comments:

Post a Comment