Thursday, May 1, 2014

Inspired By The Hardworking "Mr. Coconut Man" Of Crocodile Islands, South of Boracay!

Because of the strong currents, I was debating with myself whether to snorkel or to just stay on the boat. After all, we were on the beautiful Crocodile Island located South of Boracay, known for its teeming marine life visible in crystal clear azure waters!

Family Snorkeling Time in Crocodile Island

Maybe because of his age, my 5 1/2 year old didn't know the meaning of fear because he insisted in getting himself into the refreshing waters with the rest of the family.

Snorkeling in Crocodile Island

When I was about to take the plunge, I was sidetracked by an unusual vision of a man on a surfboard. He was paddling his way through the waters in an attempt to sell coconut drinks to the snorkelers.

Amazing Job in Crocodile Island

When he reached our boat, he said "3 for 100." After Tito H bought the drinks, I began talking to Mr. Coconut Man. I asked him whether he was afraid of his job, to which he answered "NO" with a smile. When inquired on how long he has been selling coconuts, he said, "Noong 12 pa ako." (Translation: Since I was twelve.) When I asked him further about his present age he said, "18." I can't believe I was older than him by around 24 years!

Here's the hardworking "manong" in action. Please press the HD button for better quality.



Talk about a man's indefatigable spirit not just to survive but to to thrive in life! I can't help but recall these words while watching him:

"I watched a small man with thick calluses on both hands work 15 and 16 hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottom of his feet, a man... who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example." (Mario Cuomo, 52nd Gov of New York)

Amazing! Believe me when I say that I'll never look at coconuts the same way ever again!

I'll never look at coconuts the same way again!


Blog on Cue: And It All Leads to Picturesque Puka Beach in Boracay





Heart

  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

No comments:

Post a Comment