Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sharpening Your Toddler's Pencil, Coloring, Cutting & Pasting Skills Through Kumon Workbooks ♪♪♪

When my son turned 3, his Tito U shipped some Kumon books to help prepare him for preschool. You can just imagine how ecstatic I was when I finally got hold of them. Cloud 9 Smiley

Thanks Tito U for the Kumon Workbooks! 

But since I was afraid that my son will "destroy" the pages in some way, I had them photocopied so that he can practice on the reproductions first.Smiling Smiley Face Good thing, he didn't mind at all! In fact, he would trace endlessly prompting me to stop him not only for his sake but also for my daily dose of Korean Dramas.Smiling Smiley Face

Kumon My First Book of Tracing ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

Included in Tito U's gift set is Kumon's My First Book of Tracing.  It is an 80-page workbook which  showcases a variety of drawings in full-color targeted in developing a toddler's pencil skills.

Kumon My First Book of Tracing ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

It even has a guide at the very beginning to illustrate the right way of holding a pencil.

                                    Kumon My First Book of Tracing ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

I remember Tutapel struggling with this particular skill at first but through constant tracing, he finally got used to it. 

                                                      Learning to Trace Curves From
                                 Kumon My First Book of Tracing ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

I still can recall how Tutapel and I enjoyed doing this activity together simply because of the colorful photos! I really didn't have to force him to do any of them. In fact, I was the one stopping him from doing more.Smiling Smiley Face If you can believe it, even my three year-old grandson, my niece's son, also fell in love with tracing because of this particular workbook. What can I say? It's truly a hit among our toddlers!

Certificate of Achievement for 
Kumon My First Book of Tracing ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

An "in-thing" among workbooks these days is a Certificate of Achievement which is also a part of Kumon's My First Book of Tracing. I regard this not just as a simple piece of paper but as a wonderful reminder of your toddler's hard work and growing interest in writing.  

Kumon My Book of Early Mazes ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

Another book included in the gift set is Kumon's My Book of Easy Mazes.

Kumon My Book of Early Mazes ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

Once again, it features 80 pages of a variety of mazes to help develop your toddler's growing pencil skills. Although they are not as colorful as the ones found in My First of Tracing, my toddler and grandson still have a rockin' good time "connecting the arrows and the stars." Smiling Smiley Face


Rad Radish & Helicopter Bunny Mazes from
Kumon My Book of Early Mazes ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

What my son usually did was to answer My Book of Tracing and My Book of Early Mazes interchangeably depending on his mood. And since both books promote the same set of skills, he really didn't have to adjust that much when doing so.

                                                       Certificate of Achievement for 
                                 Kumon My Book of Early Mazes ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

Kumon My Book of Coloring ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

The third book found in the gift set is My Book of Coloring which is I think perfect for toddlers who are new to coloring.


                                 Kumon My Book of Coloring ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

I must admit though that it was only a month before my son turned 4 that we started doing this particular workbook. That means he started nursery without really a firm grasp in coloring. One day, he came home with several pages of his books filled with nonsensical colors. I felt so bad for him and guilty too because I wasn't able to teach him this seemingly simple skill.

                                         Kumon My Book of Coloring ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)

What I did was to get this workbook from the shelf and began teaching him the right way to color. Aside from be-a-utiful drawings which we absolutely love, the portions up for coloring are just fairly small which is I think great for toddlers who find coloring rather tiresome.

                                          Kumon My Book of Coloring ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)


                                                      Don't forget the white spaces! 

                                                                          That's better!

After coloring the missing portions, your toddler will be asked to connect dots and stars in easy-to-do activities, this time, by means of a crayon to help hone his or her ability to recognize colors.Smiling Smiley Face

                                                              Tracing Portion From
                                    Kumon My Book of Coloring ( For Ages 2, 3 & 4)                                

                                                        Certificate of Achievement From 
                                           Kumon My Book of Coloring ( For Ages 2, 3  4)

  Kumon My Book of Pasting ( For Ages 4, 5 & 6)

Since the three Kumon workbooks really helped my son's growing pencil and coloring skills, I needed another workbook to hone his cutting and pasting. One time when I was at National Bookstore, I saw this particular book that combined both skills.

                                         Kumon My Book of Pasting ( For Ages 4, 5 & 6)

While browsing, I really liked the colorful pictures and paper quality that was why I didn't think twice in purchasing it. Just look at the following pages and you'll understand:

  Cutting squares from
Kumon My Book of Pasting ( For Ages 4, 5 & 6)

  Cutting Curves from 
Kumon My Book of Pasting ( For Ages 4, 5 & 6)

  More curve-cutting activity from 
Kumon My Book of Pasting ( For Ages 4, 5 & 6)

  Cutting triangles from 
Kumon My Book of Pasting ( For Ages 4, 5 & 6)

  Certificate of Achievement from 
Kumon My Book of Pasting ( For Ages 4, 5 & 6)

From cutting squares...

Don't go beyond the lines, kiddo!
Be careful with the scissors...

...to putting on paste...

  Kumon My Book of Pasting ( For Ages 4, 5 & 6)

...and finally putting the missing shape on the picture, Tutapel truly enjoyed himself every step of the way.

  Tada! The picture is now complete.

  If your child finds cutting curves a bit difficult, cheer him or her on! 

  Opt for glue sticks if your little one detests touching any form of paste. 

 Don't worry if he or she can't cut and paste quite well yet.

  
    The important thing is, he or she is trying and doing his or her best on a daily basis 
                                         and having a ball in the process.

Let me end with a quotation which is I think is appropriate for this blog post. One time, Joanne P., my classmate from UP Diliman and now the owner of Kids Ahoy- a playshop dedicated to raising a Filipino global child with local roots and global dreams- posted an FB message that really hit me:

Talent/ability/Gift 
extraordinary opportunities
 + 
nurturing 
persistence
 + 
deliberate "practice" 
achievement


Have a great time learning and bonding with your kids!


MY RATING:
Kumon Workbooks: Tracing, Easy Mazes, Coloring & Pasting 
♪♪ Fantastic! It's on my list of favorites.

Kumon Workbooks are available at leading bookstores like National Bookstore, Powerbooks and Fully Booked for either Php 300 or Php 400 per workbook.

More book reviews from Scholastic Learning Express (Singapore) and Disney Skills Series in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

Scholastic Learning Express (Singapore) Reading Skills for Ages 4-5

Disney School Skills Series (Shapes & Patterns and Lower Case Letters)
for Nursery and Kinder



Heart
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

2 comments:

  1. There іѕ definately a lot to learn about this iѕsue.
    Ι really lіκе all the points уou've made.

    My website chat means

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verу rаpidly this ωeb page will be famоus аmid all blogging and site-buildіng
    νіsitors, due to it's nice articles

    My web page :: Beat Premature ejaculation

    ReplyDelete