Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Is The New Maya ThinKHeart Whole Wheat Pancake Mix Really Healthy? ♪♪

Like most people born in the 70s, I grew up devouring Maya pancakes. Back then, my daddy used to make me these incredible breakfast treats topped with a generous amount of syrup and butter shavings. I didn't know when it started; but, somehow I've begun to associate the Maya brand with bonding time with dad.  

Today, Maya may find itself in stiff competition with other pancake manufacturers like San Miguel Purefoods, but Maya has managed to maintain old customers like me and attract new ones through its innovative media campaigns. On a personal note, somehow I feel closer to my daddy- who passed away when I was ten- just by continuing with our family's own Maya tradition. 

Maya ThinKHeart Whole Wheat Pancake Mix

During one of our weekly grocery escapades, I discovered Maya's newest variant: ThinkHeart Whole Wheat Pancake Mix. I must admit though, that the product had me at Whole Wheat which is in fact  healthier than white, refined flours. What's more, it uses Muscovado sugar which is deemed a healthier alternative to table sugar.

The Nutrition/Food Label seemed to confirm this fact too that was why I bought the new variant:                                                         Calories: 150
Total Fat: 1 gram
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 310 mg
Total Carbs: 30 grams
Dietary Fiber: 5 grams
Sugars 11 grams
Protein 4 grams

Maya ThinKHeart Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
No, they aren't burned!

At home, I mixed in the flour with a little bit of water and Rice Milk from Healthy Options plus added in a single free-range/organic egg. I prefer using Rice Milk over cow's milk or soy because Bala and I are both lactose-intolerant. I also like using free-range eggs for several studies have shown that they are indeed much healthier because they have higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin A, vitamin B and beta carotene over the conventional ones.  

After frying them in a tablespoon of olive oil, the pancakes came out looking darker than usual not because they got burned but because of the presence of whole wheat flour and Muscovado sugar. They also tasted much granier than the regular pancake mix perhaps because whole wheat flour retains more grains such as the bran, germ and endosperm, which are exactly the components that make whole wheat flour a tad nutritious than refined flour.

                                      Maya ThinKHeart Whole Wheat Pancake Mix


My verdict? If you want a healthier hotcake option, then you'll absolutely love Maya's newest ThinkHeart Whole Wheat Pancake Mix for it is delish and heart healthy at the same time. But if you're the type who detest whole wheat bread for instance, well, I don't think you''ll appreciate the unique taste and everything that this product has to offer.

Remember to go easy on the butter and syrup though to control your caloric intake. And although this particular pancake mix claims to be a healthier choice, a second or third helping may be detrimental to someone who's trying to pare off some stubborn pounds. Just be cautious with your serving portions though if you're at all concerned with your weight.

MY RATING:
Maya ThinKHeart Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
   ♪♪ Good. It's worth a try.


Maya Hotcake Mix
Facebook
Maya Kitchen


Heart

  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

8 comments:

  1. i ♥ Maya Whole Wheat mix and my kids do too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "of course free-range eggs are healthier than the regular ones" I actually disagree and I think regular eggs are also very nutritious. D; You could also try adding flax seeds and chia seeds. One thing to also be watching out for is sodium content per serving and how big a serving is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna! Regular eggs are also nutritious in a sense. What I was really trying to say I guess is that free-range eggs have higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin A, vitamin B and beta carotene than conventional eggs according to recent studies. I don't think flax or chia seeds will complement this type of flour that much. I've tried adding in some flaxseed meal once but I didn't like the taste at all. Well, maybe with the regular type of flour, your advise will work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janaki! I'm so glad to hear that your kids love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know its worth a try talaga! hihi. got my new blog BTW, please show some love ha?

    JC
    http://awalkwithshing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used the Maya whole wheat pancake mix in making banana and blueberry muffins because I can't find any whole wheat flour in the grocery. And they were delicious. I didn't add any sugar anymore

    ReplyDelete
  7. i will try this. i usually buy pillsbury

    www.keezandmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I eat bread and all sorts of pastries, which obviously has wheat content. I tried this earlier for breakfast, suddenly I got allergic reactions, same symptoms as having a wheat allergy.

    ReplyDelete