Thursday, January 26, 2012

Affordable Korean Snacks Odeng and Tteokbokki at Flammable Topokki @ SM North Edsa Food Court ♪♪ (Updated)

Ever since I tasted some delish Korean Snacks at Food Republic, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur late last year, my craving for Korean dishes was pushed to a whole new level.

                                    Flammable Topokki at SM North Edsa Food Court
Thank goodness there's a decent stall at a nearby mall that helped satiate my craving for anything Korean. 

                                                 Affordable Prices for Tteokbokki and Odeng


                                       Tteokbokki on display: Just a sprinkle of rice cakes?

                                                  Odeng in two sizes: Trial and Regular



                          An Almost Perfect Korean Snack Pair: Odeng and Tteokbokki


Remember our beloved Gu Jun Pyo eating odeng and lots of it too during a rare male bonding time with Geum Jandi's father and brother in the hit K-Drama Boys Over Flowers? 


                                                                     Odeng Php 27
To be honest, I was deeply fascinated that the writers of  Boys Over Flowers made the rich and powerful Gu Jun Pyo finish off at least 30 sticks of odeng all at once. What's so special about this Korean snack anyway? Was it worth all the fanfare? For starters, I asked the kind stall vendor if they use authentic ingredients from Korea. He didn't only say yes but even showed me the frozen rice and fish cakes used for the tteokbokki and odeng respectively with Hanggul letters imprinted on the packaging. Since odeng is simply boiled fish cake, it didn't have that burst of flavors that deserved much fanfare. But because it was boiled just right, pretty firm in my opinion paired with a delicate tasting soup that's hot and heartifying, I found the odeng both satiating and gratifying.

                                                              Tteokbokki Php 40
I can understand that rice cakes are pretty expensive and I believe that's the reason why there was only a handful in the regular tteokbokki version. Nevertheless, the spicy nature of the dish is really the reason why many people are drawn to it, including me. The rice cakes were also firm and delish as expected while the sliced fish cakes or odeng added an earthy, rustic flavor to the dish. If only there were more rice cakes, then the dish would have been really amazing.


Flammable Topokki
Branches:
Food Court, SM City North Edsa (Now Closed)
Food Court, SM Sta. Mesa/SM Centerpoint


Next: 










Heart

  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

14 comments:

  1. Czjai Reyes-OcampoJanuary 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM

    I always enjoy posts like these Ms Kaye, since I'm a huge Kdrama fan myself. Too bad we don't have food stalls like that here in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Czjai Reyes-OcampoJanuary 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM

    I always enjoy posts like these Ms Kaye, since I'm a huge Kdrama fan myself. Too bad we don't have food stalls like that here in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Czjai Reyes-OcampoJanuary 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

    I always enjoy posts like these Ms Kaye, since I'm a huge Kdrama fan myself. Too bad we don't have food stalls like that here in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. waaa :) sobrang laki ng pcitures (hahaha) natakam ako lalo!! hihi

    >> pero mas type ng panlasa ko ang Japanese food sis!! though they're almost the same naman diba? ayaw ko ng kimchi!! (kimchi bayun? haha) basta yung parang binuro na cabbage..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't tried Korean yet. Guess this made me more curious. :)

    http://dekaphobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. @michymichymoo: yes sis. it's worth a try.

    @kate: you're right. yummy...

    @ kikayferry: yes sis. i know what you mean. i also like japanese food. acquired taste kasi ang kimchi. talagang super spicy siya...

    @czai: wow! another k-drama fan in the house!!!!! thanks for the visit and the warm message.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @michymichymoo: yes sis. it's worth a try.

    @kate: you're right. yummy...

    @ kikayferry: yes sis. i know what you mean. i also like japanese food. acquired taste kasi ang kimchi. talagang super spicy siya...

    @czai: wow! another k-drama fan in the house!!!!! thanks for the visit and the warm message.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy food you got there!

    -JC
    ferreroandfate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nasa sm north paba yung stall na yan?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @RebelSweetHrt: thanks so much for the kind remark. hope to hear from you again...

    @Bhritthanhie06: i'm afraid not. but i've heard that they still have a stall at sm centerpoint or sm. sta mesa...thanks for dropping by...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @camilla mhay: hi! wala na sila sa Sm north. sa sm centerpoint na lang....:( thanks for the visit ha...

    ReplyDelete
  13. yummy! tasted it before and I loved it. but when I came back to SM North to buy some, so sad that I don't find it.

    ReplyDelete