Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hopelessly In Love With Durian

Durian can only elicit two types of reactions: one of abhorrence or another of true love.

Yes, you either fall in love with it at first bite or curse it forever.



It's just a shame that this fruit was portrayed in a somewhat bad light in the movie, Eat Pray Love (2010), when Javier Bardem's character told Julia Robert's persona that "durian tastes like feet."

Honestly, I didn't know whether to laugh or take offense!

Well, I can't really blame anyone for being disgusted with the fruit.

For starters, its smell can be so intoxicatingly bad, it can drive just about anyone mad!



No wonder my family stays away from me whenever I'm with my durian.

You see, I love durian to death!

Ever since my good friend Catty-Cat gave me my very first taste of durian after her visit to Davao years ago, I've become hopelessly in love with the fruit.

So I tried luring the family into eating it too but the smell is just so repelling, according to them, they can't help but move as far away from it as possible!

My typical reply would be that although it smells terrible, you'll forget all about it once you sink your teeth into its incredibly sweet and milky flesh.

I even told them about the wonderful benefits associated with the fruit.

Who would know that durian is packed with all these fantastic nutrients:
  • Vitamin C
  • Thiamin
  • Managanese
  • Vitamin B6
  • Potassium
  • Riboflavin
  • Copper
  • Folate
  • Magnesium
  • Fiber


Maybe, just maybe, I can finally convince the family to try durian when we go to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur in a few weeks.

I've heard that the durian over there comes in an array of spectacular flavors!

Watch out Newton Circus Hawker Center!

 
I will surely sample every durian there is from sunrise to sundown. 



Next: Quiet Anticipation: Timeless Confection Singapore & Kuala Lumpur Travel Diaries


Heart




  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

2 comments:

  1. I grew up eating durian since im thai. I love the stuff, but some people find the smell to be unholy and therefore wont even try it. shame..they're missing out on something so delicious! so glad to meet another person who loves the stuff like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sushi! I'm overjoyed to hear that you love durian. Oh! I would love to try the Thai version sometime soon. I heard that the flavor somewhat differs from one country to the next. I would definitely blog about the durian in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur when we come back. have a good day Sushi!!!!

    ReplyDelete