Saturday, June 4, 2011

Butterfly Sanctuary at Camp John Hay in Baguio

When we planned our Baguio itinerary, I made sure to include a stopover at the famed Butterfly Sanctuary located at Camp John Hay.



At Camp John Hay, I can't help but feel a little bit overwhelmed by the incredibly huge pine trees! Of course, Baguio won't be Baguio without them.



You see, decades ago, Camp John Hay was constructed as a recreational facility for the U.S. Armed Forces. Now, it has become Baguio City's most famous attraction, thanks to its Jack Nicklaus-designed golf-course, hotels, a shopping and convention center...



...and of course the Butterfly Sanctuary!



As it turned out, we needed to walk for a few more minutes to reach our destination.



Just looking at the lush greens made me feel so refreshed and revitalized.



The fresh unpolluted air became a welcome companion during the walk. Somehow, I wished deep inside me that I can do this simple yet worthwhile activity when I go back to Metro Manila.



After a few minutes, I saw an interesting wooden gate leading to the Sanctuary itself.



And then we finally saw what we were looking for!



We were led to the green room upon payment of the entrance fee and the commentary from the kind Manong (Kuya or Big Brother) started: "Upon its re-opening in 1990, the Butterfly Sanctuary has quickly become a must-see place in Baguio..."



We were also told that this attraction was designed primarily around the Little Mermaid, explaining why there is a bronze mermaid statue amid a topiary garden.


After the short commentary, the kind Manong was ready to show us the sanctuary's most prized allies.


You know, I have always been fascinated with butterflies. I remember that during my childhood days, I've always used butterflies as themes in my artworks. Who wouldn't be fascinated with their six jointed legs, three body parts, a pair of antennae, compound eyes, and an exoskeleton? That's quite a mouthful, I know, but I think you know what I mean. 




To spruce up our stay at the sanctuary, Manong even put some of them on Bala's shirt and hand, to Tutapel's absolute delight!




After  my solo shot with the butterflies in front of me...




Manong managed to put some of my newfound friends on my hair and hand. Isn't it amazing? If you want to visit the Butterfly Sanctuary sometime, you might want to check this out.


How to Get Here: 
  • When you enter the main gate of Camp John Hay, keep going for a few hundred meters way past the CJH-CAP Convention Center. You'll see the Butterfly Sanctuary on your right.
  • If you'll enter from the 2nd gate which is accessed via the Country Club Road, drive past Mile Hi Center and The Manor Hotel and head towards the Main Gate. Simply look for the green mesh covered area on your left.
  • If you'll take the cab, just tell the driver that you'll go to the Butterfly Sanctuary and he'll take it from there.

Happy trip!


Heart
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

No comments:

Post a Comment