Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Starbucks Musings

When Starbucks debuted here in the Philippines several years back, I remember telling Bala,"there's no way I'd pay 150 just for coffee." 

Starbucks Philippines

But my perception changed when I got to know more about Starbucks and what it stood for.

                                                             Courtesy of  Coverbrowser.com



                                                                               Courtesy of  Barnes and Noble.com

And it was all because of this book: Pour Your Heart Into It by the man behind Starbucks, Howard Schulz. I felt his passion for his vision rubbing off on me in every page.


Starbucks Philippines

When I see these stuffs at Starbucks, I feel like I've become part of the store's journey from vision to realization to iconic status in pop culture. Whoever knew that a majority of us will be persuaded to leave the house just to get a cup of coffee? Starbucks revolutionized this idea and to a certain degree, has transformed our social life. It has also become the invaluable "fourth place" (aside from the home, church and office) where people get together, catch up and just be themselves.

Starbucks Philippines

Starbucks has also managed to diversify its menu by adding cakes, sandwiches, tea, juices, cocoa and of course its multi-dimensional frappuccinos to its already vivid line of coffee drinks.

Starbucks Philippines

Even Tutapel asks for "frappe" when we're at the mall; but, we resort to non-coffee variants to accommodate my toddler's craving. Our visit is usually filled with a panoply of house favorites that has become a part of our family bonding time.

Starbucks Philippines

Green Tea Cream Grande (Php 175). Its bitter sweet taste is a delightful diversion from the usual assortment of coffee drinks.

Starbucks Philippines

Chocolate Chip Cream: Coffee-free; Grande (Php 175). Who doesn't love chocolate? And with interesting bits to boot, it's no wonder why this variant is most certainly one of the most popular non-coffee drinks around.

Starbucks Philippines

Iced Cocoa without coffee (Php 145). Craving for chocolate, I settled for this variant topped with whipped cream and cocoa powder. With ice cubes to cool the beverage, I wasn't really taken with this option since I'm really a frappuccino gal at heart.

Starbucks Philippines

Mango Yogurt Cheesecake. (Php 110/slice). Soft, creamy and quite tangy. Its interesting blend of flavors makes it a definite crowd-pleaser from the first bite to the last. Tutapel had more than his fair share of cake for he almost finished it all by himself!


Starbucks Philippines

Basil, Tomato and Mozzarella Sandwich (Php 105). With more salt and pepper, I think that the sandwich would have tasted a lot better. Although it looks better than it actually tastes, it is still quite filling because of its prominent veggie ingredients.

How about you, which pastries do you fancy?

 Starbucks Philippines

 And which beverage are you most inclined to have on your next visit?

Starbucks Philippines



Related Posts:




Heart
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

10 comments:

  1. My family LOVES Starbucks!There's one in our Barnes and Noble and me and my hubby go there often for "date nights". We take our daughter there too sometimes. Her favorite it "pink soda", Italian creme soda with raspberry flavoring and whipped cream. My favorite is Java Chip Frappiccino (looks like your chocolate cream frapp) and hubby loves the iced coffee, although we get hot coffee as well. I've never seen mango cheesecake, but they have a spinach artichoke quiche that I LOVE! You are right, it is great family time and we get a double blessing to be able to read books as we sip our drinks!! They have free WiFi too! It's the best! It's nice to know that if I ever get to the Philippines I can go to Starbucks! I didn't know anything about the story. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaye! Your post reminded me that I have to include visiting Star Bucks on my list when I go back to Philippines this month. I'm a certified coffee drinker! Visiting back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimberley!
    Wow!Your selections there are really diverse.
    Can't wait to try them.
    I'm very much interested to try that spinach artichoke quiche that you were talking about.Yummo!
    Yes. We have lots of Starbucks outlets here in the Philippines. I'm sure you're gonna live it here.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the visit Magnolia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Krizza!
    I'm sure Starbucks has missed you too.
    Hope you have a safe flight back home.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go to Starbucks to splurge and unwind with my BF when we're burned out from work or feels like spending that much for coffee. haha!

    I always order the mocha frapp and oreo cheesecake.

    have you tried their 5cheese turnover, it's super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Krizza!
    I'm sure Starbucks has missed you too.
    Hope you have a safe flight back home.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the visit Magnolia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aside from the Caramel Frap and Dark Mocha Frap, I'm sooooo loving their sandwiches esp. the Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil breakfast sandwich. Their cakes, loaf and cinnamon rolls are damn good too! :D

    ReplyDelete