Monday, March 14, 2011

Ruminations on Japan After the Tsunami

Just five days ago, I was thinking that a trip back to Japan is long overdue. It has been twelve years already since I last set foot on this amazing country. Just in case you missed my entries, you can go to this link: Around Japan: Timeless Confection Travel Diaries.

 
                                                     Having fun with my JICA co-delegates in Kyoto 
 
I told myself, I should go back to the streets of Kyoto and buy those yummy treats wrapped in elegant boxes which I failed to buy the last time. Since Tokyo is just nearby, I must go there too and maybe climb Mt. Fuji along the way. I was so envious of Bala for having done it while he was still working at NEC. Osaka, too, is a must see for it is just a two hour ride from Tokyo via the bullet train. I also thought that Sendai and Fukushima seemed lovely inclusions to the itinerary, judging from Bala's photos taken there. Overall, how fantastic it would be, I thought, to tour these places with Bala and Tutapel by my side!
Imagine my shock when a massive earthquake hit Japan just a few days ago! If you've been to Japan before, you might have experienced a few quakes here and there. In fact, during my month long stay, I have encountered mild ones in every place I've been to: Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto, Kanagawa-ken, Matsuyama in Ehime Prefecture, Hiroshima and Miyajima Islands. The quakes were simply everywhere!

But the quake, 8 thousand times more powerful than that in Christchurch, New Zealand just a month ago, has brought with it deadly waves of tsunamis that killed hundreds, devastated certain parts of Japan and caused tremendous anxiety towards those living in the Pacific rim, including the Philippines.

I can't imagine how it must have been like for those people who were at the center of it all, especially our dearest kababayan, fellow Filipinos, living, working or simply touring the country!

What do you do when life introduces a series of events so overwhelming and so out of control that you don't have time to think straight and confront it with confidence?

 

Honestly, I can't truly grasp the depths of pain and fear faced by our kababayan at that time. I might have experienced Ondoy, but to say that our experiences are the same, is an understatement. We simply have different levels of pains! But what I can say with certainty is this--my worship life helped me go through the tough times with hope, though hope is not in sight. To tell you the truth, while Bala, Tutapel and myself were walking through those deep, temperamental flood waters during Ondoy, I couldn't even utter a decent prayer. My head was paralyzed with fear and all I said was,"my God, Lord!" I later realized that when I was too weak to hold on to God, God held on to me. Through worship songs that He kept on reminding me, I gained the courage to face another chapter in my life.

As I try to comprehend about the chaos and concern over what has happened to Japan and its possible repercussions to the rest of the world, I'm reminded of one worship song in particular. The lyrics go something like this:

"Walang hanggan Kitang aawitan 
Pupurihin Ka at pasasalamatan
Langit ma'y lumipas ang mundo ma'y di na makita 

Mananatili, ang pag-ibig Mo'y wagas."
 

Translation:

"I will sing to you forever 
With my spirit praising and thanking you endlessly
The heavens and the earth may disappear 
But I know Lord, you remain faithful, and your love for me is eternal.



Do log into your Facebook account to watch this amazing video featuring the song Mananatili, a cut from the the album LUZVIMINDA. To get hold of this, call B-Room at 373-93-36. Don't forget to "like" Creative Futures, Inc. on Facebook for information on other inspirational albums available right now. 

After all, songs such as this, allow us to view our own mortality in the light of God's love. Instead of being gripped with fear and panic, we learn to let go and let God! I believe, that's how we should pray for our Japanese neighbors as well as our kababayans in Japan right now. Most of the time, when we're at our most vulnerable, weakest moment in our life, we're actually at our strongest. For only then, can God's full measure of strength can takeover to teach us about life's most important, most meaningful lesson ever! 


Recommended entries: 
 

Teaser: Ka-Isa Konsiyerto Chord Book by Creative Futures

What Makes Me Guilty To Even Smile...

 

Heart
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

3 comments:

  1. it so sad, no? naalala ko tuloy yung ondoy.

    we've been watching the news. we are in el salvador for vacation and they closed all the resorts on friday. pero walang naapektuhan.

    nabasa ko sa news na umabot sa sf bay area ang tsunami and caused minor damages in sta. cruz (city south of sf) :(

    ingat kayo parati.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi rolandito!
    sad day talaga!
    grabeh ano.
    pati pala sa inyo naapektuhan!
    ingat kayo dyan ha.
    hello kay H.
    hope yung luggage niyo okay na.
    naalala ko kasi kluwento niya dati.
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it so sad, no? naalala ko tuloy yung ondoy.

    we've been watching the news. we are in el salvador for vacation and they closed all the resorts on friday. pero walang naapektuhan.

    nabasa ko sa news na umabot sa sf bay area ang tsunami and caused minor damages in sta. cruz (city south of sf) :(

    ingat kayo parati.

    ReplyDelete