Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fastfood Series: Razon's of Guagua ♪♪♪

I have seen a lot of Razon branches sprouting in every corner of the metropolis for the past few years now. But I must admit that I didn't have the courage to try it for fear of being disappointed. You might have had the impression that eating for me is not only an art but also a celebration of memories. I eat certain dishes not only to tickle my palate but to bring specific memories to life.




My dad was born in Baruya in Lubao while my mom hailed from Betis in Guagua. My childhood was marked with delicious dishes from Pampanga to Manila which helped create my extreme fascination with good food. I remember vividly how critical my mom and my aunts would get if the dishes at a certain resto didn't please them. They would say "mas masarap pa luto ko dito eh" both in Tagalog and Kapampangan. I've become a little uneasy when this comment was normally made for fear of offending the owner or the other diners.




Sizzling Bulalo (Php 230). Tender kenchi beef parts with oozingly delicious shank (bone marrow) are served sizzling hot in a bed of gravy. I love how the beef melts in my mouth which beautifully reminds me of  my mom's own version of beef dishes that I grew up with. A definite must-try!



Tapsilog (Php130). The cultured tapa brought back memories of childhood spent in Pampanga. Its distinct taste is not a common occurrence among commercially manufactured tapas. And for that reason, the Razon tapa is worth having over and over.

 
 Pancit Luglog (Php 90). Large, thick noodles cooked al dente and layered with a natural blend of red sauce, baby shrimps, egg slices and topped with finely crumbled chicharon. I love the al dente noodles and the dish per se. But it wouldn't hurt if it has a little bit more sauce and "sahog" (ingredients) to make the dish a lot more interesting.



Sizzling Sisig Meal (Php 145). The finely chopped pig parts are seasoned well and gives off a home-cooked taste to it. It is simple with no added flair and no inclination toward the dramatics. But it is very comforting which is I think the over-all intention of the store.



Assorted Tarts (Php 30). I must say that their tarts are not really their specialty. They lack in sweetness, flavor and crunchy goodness which should be intrinsic in all tarts.



Halo-Halo (Php 90).
An assortment of sun-ripened "saging na saba" (bananas), macapuno, leche flan and dayap rind in shaved ice. When I dug my spoon into the shaved ice, I was amazed at how soft it actually was! When mixed with all the other ingredients, the halo-halo was simply marvelous! What I love about it is that this dessert is very flavorful, yet not too sweet perhaps because of the addition of the dayap rind. This is most definitely a must-try!

Razon's of Guagua
Timog Avenue
Phone: 376-6434; 376-6545

Trinoma Branch
2nd Level, Food court

SM City North Edsa
1st level, Main Building


Heart
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

3 comments:

  1. I agree. Razon's Halo halo is a must try before the summer ends.

    The Cuisineuer
    Romepedia
    Cruiseuer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer's finally here. More halo-halo the better. Right, Rome?Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Razon's Halo halo is a must try before the summer ends.

    The Cuisineuer
    Romepedia
    Cruiseuer

    ReplyDelete