Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hui Lau Shan Healthy Desserts in Hong Kong ♪♪♪♪

Tired wasn't even part of our vocabulary that night. Despite the endless walks and tiring camera poses during the day, Ren, Bala and I were on the hunt for Hui Lau Shan, a popular mango dessert store in Hong Kong. Finding the place wasn't easy.  Since we didn't speak a word of either Cantonese or Mandarin, we found it hard to navigate the area.

 Around Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon

Nevertheless both Ren and I were excited to try their famous mango desserts.  Just look at how her hair shone in anticipation! We perused the area some more in the hope that the store was just nearby.

Around Tsim Sha Tsui 

As it turned out, we needed to walk several more minutes before we finally reached our destination.

Hui Lau Shan 
Photo by chaudown
At last! There it was teeming with dessert lovers such as ourselves. The photos on the banner took our fancy. But we didn't know which desserts to try.  Thank goodness the cashier and sales assistant were kind enough to tell us their bestsellers. We ordered just two because of the rather ample serving.

Hui Lau Shan 
Photo by yuki-chan
Sago in Mango Juice with Extra Mango and Mango Ice Cream ( HKD 33 or PHP 188).
Ripe Mango bits and Mango ice cream swimming in a pool of mango juice.  I absolutely love everything about it! A definite must-try!

Hui Lau Shan 
Photo by yuki-chan
Glutinous Rice Balls in Mango Juice with Extra Mango ( HKD 33 or PHP 188).
(Unblurred pic on the extreme left portion of this photo)
Ripe Mango cubes and glutinous rice balls swimming in a pool of decadent mango puree. What can I say?  I love how the mangoes blend well with the chewy rice balls dipped in absolute mango goodness. Another must-try dessert at Hui Lau Shan.

My Thoughts:
I was more than glad that our long walk wasn't all in vain. The two desserts were worth every HK dollar! But I couldn't erase that gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach.  And it wasn't from all the frozen delights we just ate. It was from the realization that Pinoys should have been the first ones to introduce a dessert chain specializing in mangoes. Reason is, the Philippine mango is considered to be the sweetest fruit in the world, according to the 1995 Guinness Book of World Records. I won't be surprised if Hui Lau Shan imported their mangoes from us, since the Philippines ranks 6th among the top ten mango producing countries in the world!

But what can I say?  They concocted the idea first that's why they're reaping all the rewards. Although I believe that Pinoys can compete with their products head-on, I commend them for being one of the very first ones to create an array of amazing mango concoctions so good you can't help but ask for more.


MY RATING
HUI LAU SHAN♪♪♪ Divine! It would be a sin not to try it.


Hui Lau Shan Healthy Desserts
Shop C,G/F, 49 Carnarvon Road
Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Phone:  2366-8025



Heart
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Nice food blogs, i've been looking for blogs about hongkong foodshops, and I stumbled upon yours, tnx for the info!
    I'll be following your posts if you don't mind!
    More of God's blessings!
    Joy Felizardo, www.gastronomybyjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Nice food blogs, i've been looking for blogs about hongkong foodshops, and I stumbled upon yours, tnx for the info!
    I'll be following your posts if you don't mind!
    More of God's blessings!
    Joy Felizardo, www.gastronomybyjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Joy!I responded months ago but since I'm using Disqus now, my comment disappeared. Visited and followed you back. Can't wait to visit your site again.

    ReplyDelete