Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tales of Three Ice Cream-A-Holics



I've "audioized" this blog.
Play and listen!





I have come to believe that the love between mother and child is one of the most powerful in the world. Connected by a life-giving cord for nine months and beyond, the tie that binds is sometimes too lofty and too deep to be fully understood.



But like spools of thread that unravel in uncontrolled patterns, the blessed bond sometimes result in a riot.



Toddler Tales

Adjusting to my son's unexpectedly delightful, sometimes frustrating developmental changes is a constant challenge. However nothing prepared me for the burgeoning drama of the toddler phase. Somehow I wished I really knew what he was thinking especially during his cataclysmic tantrum cycles that left me helpless and fearful.



Contrary to popular grown-up myth, it's not easy taking care of a toddler.
My son Tutapel for instance greets the morning with a shrill wail that sends shivers down my spine.



I waste no milli second in dashing to his side, trying to appease him. But I knew better. You have to let him ride on the tantrum tide, patiently waiting for it to subside on its own. Six ounces of milk after that and he is transformed to being the sweetest baby in the world-generous in rendering a variety of poses and tons of sweet smiles.



MAMA:
(soothingly)
Good morning darling boy!
Dada's gone for work.
What do you want to do today?

I planted a lingering kiss on his soft cheek before fishing him out of the playpen.


Pitter-patter. Titter-tatter.

He walked excitedly to the living room where his favorite cars are parked. He grabbed the biggest one draped in hues of green, blue, yellow and orange and smashed it on the cold, marbled floor.



The rugged play was interrupted by the honking sound of a car outside. He climbed the antique chair with effortless grace reminiscent of Bambi in that classic Disney movie.

BABY:
(excitedly)
Car! Bus!


Graceful or not, I freaked out all the same.

MAMA:
(fearful)
No!


After he lost considerable interest in the goings-on outside, he dashed to the tan-colored cupboard, reached out for the chrome handle and opened it nonchalantly.



He started playing with the cups and glasses much to my amazement.

Cling. Clang. Cling. Cling. Clang.

The sounds seem to reverberate through the whole room.



With shallow breaths, I watched him re-arrange the cups.

"I'm sure he'll go ballistic once I tell him to stop," I told myself.

But I told him anyway lest the cups be broken into a million pieces.



Within seconds he lay on the frigid floor, kicking, squirming and crying relentlessly in violent protest to my good-hearted reprimand.



From the dining area, Tutapel ran to the parqueted hallway to continue the second cycle of his tantrum spells for the day.



At my wit's end, all I could do was to wait for the tempestuous cycle to subside once again.



In utter desperation, I shouted "Ice Cream!" With graceful panache I managed to dash to the freezer without tripping over Tutapel's cars. And then I reached for a pint of Häagen-Dazs.



Christmas In A Cup!

The trick worked! All of a sudden, he stood up, rubbed the tears off his eyes before running to my outstretched arms. After this much awaited reunion, we sealed our reconciliation with a "Häagen-Dazsish kiss."



His once tantrum stricken face was replaced by an effervescent smile clearly excited to get a taste of our favorite ice cream.



How can I blame him when I too was salivating for the New Caramel Biscuit & Cream flavor of Häagen-Dazs?



The roasty-toasty, sweet n' buttery aroma is a delightful invite to the senses!



We dug into the pint of ice cream with enough gusto as if our very lives depended on it. Just a spoonful brought us into a state of bliss we never even knew existed!



We couldn't get enough of the new flavor!
With ice cream dripping from his chin down to his moss green shirt, Tutapel didn't seem to care. He just couldn't get enough of it!



Suddenly, I remembered the popular adage, "Life is an ice cream, enjoy it before it melts!" Melted or frozen, nothing beats the New Caramel Biscuit & Cream of Häagen-Dazs. I didn't realize that ice cream can be this good!



Roasty-toasty. Sweet n' buttery! Smooth tasting cream with flavorful bursts of caramel and succulent biscuit pieces. The New Caramel Biscuit & Cream of Häagen-Dazs melts all tantrums away to a happier, more harmonious home.



In an amazing turn of events, Häagen-Dazs ironed out the wrinkles in our relationship and strengthened the mother-son ties to perfection.

BABY:
(sweetly)
Mama.
Mommy.
Mom!


For Tutapel and myself, the New Caramel Biscuit & Cream of Häagen-Dazs is like Christmas in a cup all year round!


Do not disturb. Slow melting in progress.



I've "audioized" this part.
Play and listen!




The Häagen-Dazs Magic Unleashed

After an amazingly sweet rendezvous with our favorite ice cream, I "scooped" Tutapel in my arms and started talking to him about the Häagen-Dazs Magic. His eyes lit up as if he understood every word. He grabbed my forefinger as if prompting me to continue my story.



Mama:
(sweetly)
"Once upon a time, in a land not so far away stood the fantastical Häagen-Dazs Cafe."


"Everyone goes there for its exceptional and slow-melting ice cream."



"There are a variety of indulgent flavors...



soothing pastries...



and the finest toppings to choose from."



"You can even eat all the ice cream you want when you want it."



"One of the most popular desserts is the Fondue--a fusion of four different ice cream flavors, sponge cake cubes, cookies, picola sticks, fresh fruits, roasted almonds and hot chocolate sauce. They say that this decadent concoction is full of bliss and overflows with pleasure."



Häagen-Dazs With A Zesty Twist

Suddenly I had a "light bulb" moment. Why not wield the Häagen-Dazs Magic Wand at home? My hubby "Bala" as I fondly call him would be ecstatic to have such frozen delights after an exhausting day at work. I could just imagine the things that he has to go through each passing day: travel to and fro, deadlines, work load and office politics. He deserves a much needed break from it all.



It's time to whip up something nice. I call it the Häagen-Dazs Fire & Ice Surprise. It was very easy to make. All I needed was a piece of my favorite mamon. I peeled off the crust wrapping and then placed it on a bowl.



Then, I smothered a double scoop of the New Caramel Biscuit & Cream of Häagen-Dazs on top of the mamon.



Voila! I now have my very own Häagen-Dazs Fire & Ice Surprise. The secret ingredient is the New Caramel Biscuit & Cream flavor. It turns a simple mamon into a culinary masterpiece most worthy of an encore!



But wait! I almost forgot to light the candle to complete the surprise. Indeed, any day can be extra special with just a dash of creativity and an ounce of pizzaz! As expected, Bala and Tutapel enjoyed every smothering bite. It tasted like Christmas morning: fresh, sweet and filled with oh so good memories.



Enraptured in that family bonding moment, I was energized to whip up another desert. Mmmm. Let's see. I filled two tall glasses with my favorite soda and finished off with a scoop or two of the New Caramel Biscuit & Cream of Häagen-Dazs. And that's it!



As it started to explode, I can't help but remember the pyrotechnics at Rain's Intensity Concert almost a month ago.





But this time, it wasn't a Rain tune that kept playing inside my head.
"It's an explosion! My love for you!"
Yes. The Menudo hit became my theme song at that moment.



I told Bala, it's called the Häagen-Dazs Love Explosion.
"It explodes with all my love for you."Blowing Kisses Smiley
With the concoction still dripping down our glasses and hands, we cheered for the next 20 or 30 more years as a family... and as friends.



Inspired by the "Got Milk" Ad Campaign, we sported our own moustache for our very own "Got Häagen-Dazs?" family snapshot.



Enjoying
the New Caramel Biscuit & Cream of Häagen-Dazs either from a cup or from an inventive concoction is all the same. Both interludes carry with them that magical Häagen-Dazs experience that you simply can't get enough of.



For the Luistros, the New Caramel Biscuit & Cream of Häagen-Dazs melts all our stresses away to a Christmassy state--that's full of bliss and overflows with pleasure-- all year round!
Happy Smiley


Do not disturb. Slow melting in progress.


How about you? How do you unwind after a busy day?




This is my official entry to the Häagen-Dazs Melting Me Slowly Contest by Nuffnang Philippines.

  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

7 comments:

  1. ang galeng! panalo na 'to sigurado. para siyang children's story book. andito pa si bala! hehe
    love his bag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unaki!!!!!You're the sweetest. Sana nga. Sobrang pogi points yung bag. Galing talaga ng taste ng nagbigay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaye, thanks for the unexpected visit! Dami mo concoctions sa HD ha? :)

    Btw, I hope we'll win! :) God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth!
    You're so sweet!
    Thanks for visitng ha.
    It really means a lot to me.
    Yeah. We could use all the HD GCs! hihihi.
    Blessings to you and your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth!
    You're so sweet!
    Thanks for visitng ha.
    It really means a lot to me.
    Yeah. We could use all the HD GCs! hihihi.
    Blessings to you and your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ang galeng! panalo na 'to sigurado. para siyang children's story book. andito pa si bala! hehe
    love his bag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kaye, thanks for the unexpected visit! Dami mo concoctions sa HD ha? :)

    Btw, I hope we'll win! :) God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete