Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tokyo, Osaka and Ehime At A Glance

During our last few days in Japan, I can't help but reminisce about the many amazing things that had happened to me. For one, there was our museum hopping, not bar hopping, mind you. 

OSAKA
I've always believed that visiting museums is the best way to connect with a country's past and future. Japan's museums clearly exhibited these elements to the full. 

National Museum of Ethnology in Osaka

This particular photo was taken at the National Museum of Ethnology in Osaka which showcased different types of folk art and native costumes. 

National Museum of Ethnology in Osaka

But when we saw the Sarao Jeepney on permanent display in the Southeast Asia wing of the museum, we were all beyond ecstatic! 




      Courtesy of the National Museum of Ethnology Website


Our Japanese counterpart Maya, as seen below, helped us roam around Osaka to practice our Nihonggo. Funny thing was, we ended up teaching her how to speak in English! She was one amazing lady, that much I can tell.


What was more amazing was the fact that in Osaka, even the pigeons fall in line! 


TOKYO
This particular snapshot taken at the Edo-Tokyo Museum featured life-sized mannequins demonstrating the process of childbirth in old Japan. 

Edo-Tokyo Museum

Here's a full shot of how the commoners quarters looked like in Old Japan. Here, you see the process of childbirth that usually transpired in "longhouses," referring to several rooms joined together to form one long building. Normally, the whole family would live together in this small room. 

Edo-Tokyo Museum

I also can't help but smile when I recalled our visit to the NHK Studio Park in Shibuya-ku.

NHK Studio Park

Inside the studio, there was this very animated tour guide who tried her very best to explain NHK's history and live programming to both tourists and locals.

NHK Studio Park

I used these gadgets to read from the teleprompter in front of me.

NHK Studio Park

I was quite nervous to be on the spotlight, but was eventually very thankful because I got to do this particular demo bit for posterity.

 

Any trip won't be complete without pictures and good food! Gosh, I miss that bento more than ever! 

NHK Studio Park
Our Tokyo escapade was made even more memorable with our visit to Tokyo Disneyland! When my would-be-hubby first visited it, I wished and prayed that somehow, I could see it too. So when I finally got my chance, I didn't waste anytime taking my first snapshot.

Tokyo Disneyland
My friend Pamu and I separated from the rest of the JICA group. We proceeded to Toontown, where Goofy's Bounce House was located. 

Tokyo Disneyland

Can you guess what this is? Well, this was how the Disney float looked like up-close during the Night parade.

Tokyo Disneyland

During the Disney Day Parade, the float looked a little different for obvious reasons. 

Tokyo Disneyland

When we took the Mark Twain Riverboat ride, we were so astonished to see life-sized mannequins! This ride right here, the Wild River, eluded me during our visit. Actually, we decided to skip it because of the loooong line. 

Tokyo Disneyland

Instead of waiting in line, we dashed to Minnie's House in Toontown. It would have seemed less exciting but something tugged at my inner child's heartstrings. The house was so adorable! No, this was not taken at Disneyland. 

EHIME PREFECTURE

Rather it was a shot from the Children's Park in Ehime. These characters, though, will give Mickey and Minnie a run for their money!

Ehime Children's Park

Another snapshot, this time at the Ehime Children's Park. 

Top: Ehime Children's Park
Bottom: Briefing at the National Education Hall in Tokyo

I truly enjoyed our visit to Ehime University. We even had lunch at their cafeteria. The students took quite an interest on us because we looked and sounded kinda different.

Top: Ehime University
Bottom: Nankai Broadcasting Corporation

One of the highlights in our trip was when we were interviewed in one of the radio stations at the   Nankai Broadcasting Corporation in Matsuyama City. I had a blast. I felt like a movie star because my answers were interpreted every now and then.

JICA made sure that we were taught the art of calligraphy. I felt like an ancient scribe writing a dead king's legacy or something.

Japanese Calligraphy Workshop in Tokyo

As it turned out, I did end up chronicling my Japan adventures 11 years too late. Not in papyrus; but, in a blog. Any which way, I'm glad I finally wrote about it. It only shows that when you dare dream the impossible dream, the Lord might just allow it to come true--in His own way, in His own time, to fulfill His purposes. 


Travel Directory:

National Museum of Ethnology (Osaka)
Website

Edo-Tokyo Museum 
Website

NHK Studio Park (Tokyo)
Website

Tokyo Disneyland
Website

Ehime Children's Park 
Website

Ehime University
Website

Nankai Broadcasting Corporation
Website

Heart

  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

5 comments:

  1. sobrang japanese culture immersion eto ah.
    i love it!
    punta tayo ng kyoto sa 2012? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks rolandito! wow! sige go tayo! dapat ipon mode na ako tapos ng HK...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaye! I enjoyed reading your accounts on your trip Japan. I also wish that your pics survived Ondoy. What souvenirs did you get? Did you get to keep the kimono from your previous post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi salmoncat!it means a lot that you liked my japan chronicles. it will always be one of the most exciting things that happened in my life. yeah. i wish that too! i remember buying some jewelry, some books and key chain. calligraphy brush and ink too...not much actually because i was saving up every yen i could during that time. the kimono was super expensive, like 30,000 pesos so we weren't able to get one. sayang! my hubby who used to work in japan gave me this rather lovely tokyo disneyland music box. i can make a post if you like as i'm always so ecstatic about japan. i can make a calligraphy post for you. just let me know. more power!thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaye! I enjoyed reading your accounts on your trip Japan. I also wish that your pics survived Ondoy. What souvenirs did you get? Did you get to keep the kimono from your previous post?

    ReplyDelete